Sunday, June 3, 2012

Conformed and Berenger

I have conformed into the pressures of pleasing others in order to feel belonging. It was during high school and I was sixteen years old. I was with a group of friends, we had just finished watching a movie and decided to have dinner together. We where headed to a restaurant however I disliked the food from that specific restaurant. I decided to conform in order to fit in with my group of friends, whom I had just meet a couple of weeks before hand. I forced the food down to my stomach and ended up having to stay up all night from the stomach aches. It was a horrible experience that after this incident I will not go near the restaurant.
I have been a Berenger during my senior year in high school when I was a part of the Constitution team. My coach, who I respected and admired, had a completely different point of view on a subject. He had told me to recite the answer he had assigned for me to answer; but as much as I wanted to please him, I refused. It took me courage because he was the one who taught me all of the basics and even went as far as to help me improve on my enunciation. During the competition a judge asked the same question, I hesitated answering the question but I refused to give a half-hearted answer. In the end, we won the competition and my coach had no hard feelings. He felt proud, despite going against his ideals, that I could speak my mind with confidence despite the pressure of disappointing him and the rest of my teammates.

No comments:

Post a Comment